The 8th May not only marks VE Day’s 75th anniversary but also Sir David Attenborough's 94th birthday. To mark the occasion we decided to round up 5 of our favourite quotes and documentaries during Attenborough's career. A difficult task!
Sir David Attenborough's unforgettable meeting with gorillas became an iconic moment for millions of television viewers and he has become a source of inspiration and wisdom to many around the world for his role in advocating climate change.
The much anticipated release of David Attenborough: A Life On Our Planet was postponed in cinemas and on Netflix due to COVID-19, but we look forward to watching this later in 2020. For now, here are our favourite quotes and documentaries from our hero Sir David Attenborough.
- “It seems to me that the natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty, the greatest source of intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living.”
- Blue Planet II - While we know many of you will have watched Blue Planet II, we couldn't leave it off our list. It is responsible for the start of widespread awareness around ocean conservation and the devastating damage of plastic. It kick started the sustainable journeys of so many and the change that has happened since December 2017
- “We are at a unique stage in our history. Never before have we had such an awareness of what we are doing to the planet, and never before have we had the power to do something about that.”
- Climate Change - The Facts. This TV series looks at the science of climate change and potential solutions to this global threat. Including interviews with some of the world’s leading climate scientists, they reveal what could happen due to dangerous levels of climate change. One to watch
- “Many individuals are doing what they can. But real success can only come if there is a change in our societies and in our economics and in our politics.”
There are many other series and books we would recommend but one other we must pay tribute to is the Life on Earth. A TV series with an accompanying book fundamentally changed the way we view and interact with the natural world setting a new benchmark of quality and influencing a generation of nature lovers.